Friday, January 2, 2015

Kindergarten September 2013

I remember what it was like to be in Kindergarten.
I remember Ms. Seidman- the way her skin looked (tan, with some wrinkles around her neck) and the sound of her voice.
I remember the smell of paint and the tiny bathroom in our classroom.
I remember lining up after recess and the feeling of not wanting to get into trouble, and holding so still in line.
And I remember Pattie. I remember being so happy if Pattie would sit by me and so sad if I didn't get to swing next to her.
I remember these feelings, thoughts, and smells like they were yesterday.

I still think of Spencer as a little kid. He is a little kid. And yet he already has memories that he will have forever.
It's a hard thing to send your oldest child off to kindergarten. I can't help but feel like it's the end. I know that it is the beginning of many great experiences, but also some hard ones.  It breaks my heart to think that half of his waking hours will be without me, and that I will only know what he tells me about them. What I would give to be a fly on the wall, to see what parts of school really make him smile, as well as the times when he feels nervous or confused. Is he kind? Does he look out for others? Where is he academically? Can other kids read as well as he can? Will he get to do math like he wants to? Will kids get his jokes? What did he belly laugh about today? Have we prepared him enough?

I am thankful for Spencer's confidence.  He is more ready than I am. This reality check is good. Time really does go so fast. Now to focus on the good, exciting experiences ahead!



No comments: