Sunday, May 3, 2009

Spencer's One Day

Spencer, Marissa, and Steve getting ready to raise the roof at Gabriel Park, Portland for Spencer's smurf day.

What produces a smile like that? A talking pony, freshly opened gifts, and bottles of bubbles as far as the eye can see...
Spencer was a little thunderstruck when a huge, ball of carb-filled sucrosity was placed directly in front of his person. The unsurity soon left as he clapped, patted his cake, and dabbled his little meat-fingers into his mouth.
That last bite may have been one too many. Needless to say, Spencer moved a little slower for a few hours after his cake.

Todd and Emy get their fill of turkey hot dogs, cupcakes, and soda. Though he loved the frog gift from Emy, Spencer mostly wanted committment after their long and painful DTR.

Admittedly, the baseball theme made his dad wince a little bit, but the kids love of all balls and the cuteness of the cupcakes more than made up for the early indoctrination of Spencer into America's national pastime.

Marissa pulled a serious Rachel Ray (and beyond if you ask me) when she put together this little number. She's quite a gal.

Dave, Nicole, and Ethan suck down a hot dog while enjoying the sunshine.


Anton, Maddy, Jennifer, MaLanie, Henry, and Christopher partying hearty.


Tara, Steve, Danielle, Katie (choking or suprised?), Tyler S., and Megan pose for a picture page.

One Christmas morning when I was 6-7, my dad kicked off the gift opening with a gleeful shout, "let's rip into our gifts!" My mom, trying to quell the rabid materialism that was already boiling in her children, scolded dad with a sensible speech about remembering what the day was all about. Awkwardly, my sisters and I methodically untethered our 1st presents with calm, trying to suppress the raging torrent of excitement coursing through our veins. As soon as mom's back was turned, we shredded our gifts with fiendish delight and howled joyfully at the spoils.

Marissa made Spencer's birthday a happy occasion for all. She's thoughtful, cute, and a regular Betty Crocker.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best one year party I have ever been to. Marissa seriously is Betty Crocker. I need to learn the ways.

Is Katie okay after that choke fest?

Brittany and Bud Morrow said...

Oh I love all the pictures! I can't believe he's one already! Time flies! Looks like is was an awesome day!

Mark and Kiss said...

Marissa, you are amazing. What an adorable idea. Happy Birthday little man!

Danielle said...

Seriously really cute cakes Marissa! A one year old! He is so cute. I'm glad you're having lots of fun adventures. Miss ya,

Danielle