Sunday, June 13, 2010

Did this really happen?

Is how we have been feeling the past week.  It all started Friday night (june 4th) with some mild contractions.  I had had similar contractions the week before that had consistently lasted for 3 hours and then stopped.  I thought, "this isn't really happening, they will stop like last time."  So I continued sewing my quilt block for my quilting group, (What?  You're 25 and not in a quilting group??), and talking with my sister on the phone.  The contractions stayed consistent, but not painful. 

At midnight I decided to call my mid-wife to give her a heads up.  I felt silly calling because the contractions were not painful.  We decided I should drink a glass of water, go to bed, and call her if anything changed.  Laying in bed, almost asleep, at 12:15 I had a crazy contraction.  That was when I thought, "this is really happening."  I waited through 15 more minutes to make sure it was real.  They were coming fast, and I started crying.  I called Joy and she could tell from talking with me that we needed to get down there.  Even though we only live 2 minutes away, it took us about 15 minutes to get Spencer packed up and for me to make it down to the car amidst contractions.  I told Stevenson to drop me off before taking Spencer to our friends house (thank you Bendixsen's!) 

When I got to the birth center at 12:54am, Amber (the mid-wife assistant) and Joy were already there.  Candles were lite and the tub was being filled with water.  (you can click the link.  We were in the Tierra room.)  Everything was so calm and peaceful, except for my contractions.  They listened to Nellie's heart through two contractions.  She sounded great so I jumped in the tub.  It was so relaxing to labor in the tub.  Stevenson got back at 1:30.  After he arrived I had a crazy contraction and felt a pop and then the baby move down.  This is the part where I will begin to spare you the details.  My thoughts went from "is this really happening?" to "wow! (the exclamation mark represents pain.) this is REALLY happening" to "this hurts way more than I thought it would, please stop this from happening" to at 2:07am (1 hour from arriving at the birthcenter) Nellie was born and Stevenson and I both thought "did this really just happen??"

 We stayed in the tub for about a half hour, just holding Nellie in amazement.  (Please note the water glasses on the side of the tub.  The best part about my labor were the straws in the glasses!  During labor someone would just hold a glass up to me and I could sip from the straw.  For some reason it was heaven and I believe every laboring woman should have a straw!) Nellie was born on the only sunny day Portland had that week.  Stevenson likes to say she came prepared with sunscreen as she had tons of vernix all over her. 


 Stevenson had thought to call our parents on the way to the birthing center, and so Linda and Steve were able to be there in the morning to bring Spencer down to the birthing center.  Here he is holding his baby sister for the first time.  (Linda was able to stay with us and take care of us for a few days.  Spencer had so much fun with her and even cried when she left. )  We have wonderful friends who came to visit at the birth center and have taken care of us between Linda and my mom (who comes wednesday!).  We are so thankful for them all! 



Andaluz may have some quirky, alternative things (and people) about it, but something they do have right is their postpartum care.  Every new mom should be treated this way.  Quick run down:  Smoothies brought to our bed right after giving birth. An hour in bed alone with our new baby prior to tests/stitches, etc.  Gentle and thorough.  Quiet, relaxing (we were the only people at the center all weekend aside from our postpartum nurses).  Full body massage next day.  Take out from anywhere in Portland for lunch and dinner both days.  Breakfast made to order by the nurse's.  But mostly, they left us alone.  It was so nice, and we loved, loved, loved our time there. 
This did really happen.  And overall, this is how I feel about it.  
Happy, and pampered. 

And just in case we forgot who this is all about, here's another pic of our little girl.


Did I mention that her dad is completely smitten?




17 comments:

Matt and Melissa said...

Sounds like everything went good Marissa. Congratulations!!!! Can't wait to see little Nellie.

Linette said...

So glad she arrived safely and that you were treated so well!

daniellejackson said...

So cute! Spencer has the biggest smile on his face when he holding baby Nellie! He was so great in Nursery singing time today by the way!

Tara said...

Yay! So cute how smitten Stevenson is with his little girl! It was fun to hear the excitement in his voice when he came to pick Spencer up! So much love! Congrats again you guys!

Diana said...

I've been thinking about you, I remember you saying that she was breech back in May and was hoping that she would turn and YAY, I guess she did! I'm so glad you were able to do this! Maybe for the next one I'll follow suit, seriously, that post-partum care sounds FABULOUS! Good work, I want to say I'm proud of you but that sounds cheesy, but I really am so I guess I will say it anyway! You're awesome! Wish I could give her a big squeeze. Congrats! Love you!!!

Elder and Sister Perona said...

Joy and rejoicing in my posterity!!!! What else can I say? I'm so happy, pleased and grateful.

Amanda said...

That sounds amazing yet scary! I don't know how you did it without an epidural. The treatment after does sound like it'd be worth it though! What a story and the picture of you three in the tub is so precious.

The Ross Family said...

I am so happy for you. What a beautiful family. Congrats girl.

Rebecca & Jeff said...

Wow!! Way to go! Congrats! We are so excited for you!

Danielle said...

oh wow, that is a great story! congrats you guys :)

Mark and Kiss said...

Oh, Marissa! I loved hearing your birth story and am happy that everything went so beautiful! Yeah! My second baby was a very positive experience too, but my oh my, so happy for you for the care you got, amazing! It should be like that everywhere....The photo of you is absolutely beautiful!

Nicole said...

oh what an amazing story! so glad everything went well, she is beautiful. can't wait to meet her!

christina clark said...

congratulations, the birth center you went to sounds beautiful and wonderful all at once, that's it, next baby i'm coming to portland. wish i was there to squish both of your babies, spencer is so cute and nellie is shaping up to be just as cute. miss you guys. good luck stevenson on boards, we are praying for you.

Danielle Perona said...

Oh happy day! You are such a wonder woman. I'm glad everything worked out for you! Love your cutie cute little family.

christina clark said...

Can i get a copy of Stevenson in the tub for our hallway?
Jeff

Alicia said...

Amazing! Sounds like your birth was wonderful! Im so happy for you guys! Congrats on the beautiful little girl!

christina clark said...

So ... I'll post if you post.