Wednesday, December 7, 2011

No one wants to see this in December

I much dislike reading old catch up posts.  Who wants to read about Halloween in December?  So, sorry in advance to those who feel similarly.  The good news is that I am all caught up after this one!

Halloween 2011:
King Kong and Godzilla complete with tiny barbie sewed to Nellie and "fire" water bottle for Spence.
Stevenson and I were buildings.  I was the Empire state and Stevenson was some Tokyo buildings.



 Pumpkin carving as a family.  Spencer was grossed out but had a good time as long as we did everything for him.  Nellie thought it was awesome.




 That's right.  You are reading the blog of the ward chili cook-off best overall chili winner.  Here's the recipe:  (courtesy of my sister's grandmother-in-law Evie.)

1 ½ pound ground beef, browned and drained
3  14.5 oz cans stewed chopped tomatoes
2  15 oz. cans light red kidney beans
2  15 oz. cans dark red kidney beans
½ tsp. salt (adjust to taste)
1 or 2 onions, chopped
½ cup sugar
½ cup vinegar
½ tsp. cloves
1 tsp. allspice
½ tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cinnamon

Chop onions and fry with meat.  Drain.  Combine remaining ingredients and simmer.  Adjust the sugar, vinegar and salt to taste.
For a slightly thicker chili, Evie adds a can of tomato sauce

I just use whatever cans of beans I have on hand.  I do not drain any of the cans that i add, and i also add a can of corn undrained.  Also, I only put in 1/2 the sugar.  






 October also brought Soccer Class.  Soccer and Coach Blaine were a big hit in our house.









Nellie's Art Class.  She loved it.  But was often distracted by the fun toys that teacher Ellen set out on the side.  This corn meal play bin was a big hit for both my kids.






 Ikea Trip.


 Basketball class.
Japanese Gardens Free Day.  Worth it even though it was cold!



 Turkey Bowl.  Stevenson's class won 3rd year in a row.

 Eugene Trip for Thanksgiving.  Go DUcks! And cutest croquet player you've ever seen.








 Christmas Tree Finding.  OUr purchase came with free ice cream.  Note to self: buy your own ice cream next time.  Our kids do not like to share their goods.




4 comments:

daniellejackson said...

Looks like a great month! Cute pictures! You guys always seem to have all kinds of fun going on! I love Nellie as a croquet player, super cute!

Ty and Meg said...

Good catch up post. :) I love the cute pictures of you and Stevenson. I don't get enough of those with me and Tyler.

vanessa said...

i say post whatever you want whenever you want. and i don't mind a catch-up post. love those halloween costumes. especially the fire water. so clever.

Tara said...

It was a great post! I liked seeing warmer weather pictures. :) And those pics of you and Stevenson are super cute!