Thursday, November 19, 2009
Waterbirth anyone?
So I think Portland has officially gotten to me. Maybe it's the horrible post-partum care I received with Spencer. Or, even worse, the side-effects of my hospital labor that stayed my G.I. tracks companion for nearly 2 months after having him. Maybe it's the abundance of really nice waterbirth centers. Or, the fact that they pamper you and give you massages. Maybe it's because my epidural wore off and I felt the pain of child birth and think I can do it?!? Whatever the reason may be, I am 99% positive that I am going to have a waterbirth here. Have any of you done this? Am I crazy? Maybe. But it feels right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Thats awesome Marissa! I think you are a champ. I will be doing it that way for sure...in like 50 years. :) haha I am excited to hear all about your visit!
Good for you. I didn't do waterbirths-- it's not offered at the hospital I delivered at, and birthing centers/home births aren't covered by my insurance. Sounds wonderful for long labor though. I did go au naturale with both kiddos. It's totally doeable and very empowering. My recovery after Noah was AMAZING! I was up and around one hour postpartum. Didn't even need Tylenol or anything. I figure if I can sit in transition with no meds for over 3 hours, I can do pretty much anything. Just take a good class to give you techniques to help you through it all. I did Lamaze but I've heard great things about Bradley method & hypno birthing too. You can totally do it! Let me know how the waterbirth goes... I may have to try it someday. (If I ever decide I can handle another kid!)
I wish I had the option to do a waterbirth! Our insurance doesn't cover birthing centers, and the hospital doesn't do waterbirths. I talk to a lot of people who regret getting epidurals or how their birth went...but everyone I've talked to who had a waterbirth LOVED it! You can do it!
Just don't expect me to get in the water with you without my swim trunks...
Hey! Congrats that is so exciting! I would totally think about doing a waterbirth. I did hypnobirthing with Luci and it was amazing. You should read up about it. It's called the Mongan Method. I love natural childbirth. Go for it!
that's it i'm totally coming to portland to have my baby. that birthing center looks awesome. i'm so excited for you. you are going to do great. i really liked ina may gaskin's book and susan mccutcheon's "natural childbirth the bradley way." the bradley book really helped with telling me exactly what was going to be happening and what to do and ina may's book really helped me to get into the right mindset and feeling empowered to do it! also, we took a natural childbirth class that was super helpful in getting jeff on the same page as me. love you guys!
Do it!! It's the way it's supposed to be done! Give the power back to the woman and out of the doctors hands
ha, you are SO PORTLAND! no, but really, I think that is great. especially if you feel right about it, that is all that matters. you will be my hero if you go without an epidural. i remember you telling me about your couple month hellish recovery from spencer, and if i was you i would be thinking about alternatives too! oh, and check out my blog for the stroller info. i posted it instead of emailing it because a few other friends have asked also. good luck, let me know what you decide... about the stroller and the birth!!
to answer your question... i think the bob is too big for shopping if you want to be able to keep it right by your side while walking in between racks at like gap or something, however, both my sisters use the BOB as their main stroller, and so they take it everywhere, shopping, travel, everything. if you are planning to get one and are interested in the bob and all its other great features, id say go for it and it might not always be convienent in tight spaces, but who cares.. that is my vote. im selling my maclaren i decided, and will probably eventually sell the graco when my kids get too heavy or don't want to ride in the back seat. i think at some point, ill be down to just the bob and it will be just fine. its big but is supposed to fit through standard doorways, so its no impossible. good luck!
As you saw Kc's (kenneth) answer he is all for the waterbirth. haha, that was a funny answer without explaining. We watched the Business of Being Born, he is taught about the negative effects of hospitalized deliveries at school, and we found a birthing center in San Francisco that we want to go to when that time come. It is a good choice. I want to hear from you if you go through with it. I think it would give you a much more positive birth experience. Also check out this link:
http://www.mybestbirth.com/page/cindy-crawford-parts-1-2
There are a few celebrities that have done homebirths with midwifes and doulas and talk about it. That is awesome that Oregon has so many options. SF only has one.
Marissa - My sister-in-law did a water birth in Portland (Oregon City) with her last kid. She wrote about it on her blog mansiuschronicals.blogspot.com if you want to read about her experience. She loved it! Are you in Portland? Are you going to be around during Christmas at all? My husband and I will be up there. It would be fun to do a little reunion!
Post a Comment